So… I was needing something relatively easy to make. I was also needing something that wasn’t too complicated ingredient-wise. This is probably a bit more “fall or winter” themed meal… but who cares if it’s 92 degrees outside… I want some cheese and broccoli!! RIGHT? This is a lightened version of a comfort food, with WAY more protein. It was a total hit with my brother, father in law and my husband… so I’d say WINNER! I’ll be making this one again too! When my son grows out of his dairy allergy… I have a feeling he’d LOVE this one!!! I may have to tempt my daughter into eating it too… just w/out the chicken. But hey, with the quinoa being 6g of protein per serving, you can’t really lose!
So… Here we go!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup Panko*
- 7 chicken tenderloins
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Rice Milk (OR skim milk… whichever you have)
- 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 TB shaved parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 3/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 onion chopped fine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil an 9×13 baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
- Cook Quinoa AFTER RINSING it as directed. I cooked mine (1 cup dry quinoa to 2 cups water) in my rice cooker and it comes out perfectly!
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season the chicken tenderloins with the salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne. Add the chicken to the heated skillet and cook 3-4 min per side flipping once (I keep the lid on). Remove from pan (leave all drippings, etc. in the skillet) and let rest. Then dice into bite-size pieces and set aside..
- Melt butter in the skillet, that you just took the chicken out of, over medium heat. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, add parmesan cheese about 3-4 minutes. Add chopped onions and broccoli and let cook through. Stir in quinoa, chicken, 1/4 cup shredded cheese, and Greek yogurt; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spread broccoli mixture into the prepared baking dish; sprinkle with remaining parmesan and shredded cheese and the panko bread crumbs. Place into oven and bake until cheese has melted, about 15 minutes. If desired, do as I did… place under the broiler for an extra 5 min for those nice crispy bread crumbs on top.
- Serve immediately.
And now, for the quote of the day: