This dish was requested by my husband… and once you see the ingredients, you will see why! 🙂 Once again, taco/mexican/salsa etc. ingredients. He’s so funny, I love that he’s predictable in his likes for food. He’s very easy to please and will really eat anything I put in front of him… but he LOVES anything with this specific theme.
So, here is the “skillet” meal:
- 1 – 1.5 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/4 sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus an extra drizzle for cooking the onions
- 2-3 cups cooked white rice (or leftover frozen rice… I cooked mine in my rice cooker)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup medium salsa (I use Trader Joes)
- 1 cup Rotel (or similar)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 small sweet yellow peppers diced (or 1 small bell pepper)
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (why mozzarella? Because that’s what I had… )
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 green onions (scallions) diced
- Fresh cilantro, to taste
- Start the rice in the rice cooker according to package.
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the ground beef (or chicken, turkey, etc.) and break it up a bit with a wooden spoon. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and cook until the chicken has browned and the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the spices, chicken broth, salsa, rotel, peppers, corn, and black beans. Bring the liquids to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low.
- Once the rice is done, spoon into the meat mixture and stir to combine. Sprinkle the cheese, and avocado over the rice and then cover once more until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Then sprinkle with green onion and cilantro and serve!
Filling!! And, if you are so inclined, would be great inside of a burrito shell, I am sure! Great great meal, and quite tasty and filling!!!! YUM!
And now, for the quote of the day: