Earth Fare had a sale on wings the other day, and they were SUCH a good price… I got two packages of them!!! I took forever to actually make them though because I was trying to figure out how to make them crispy WITHOUT frying them like they do at restaurants. I also didn’t want to do crock pot wings, because then the skin just gets soft and… goopy. So… I was on a mission… how to make crispy wings in the oven?! And… I found it!
You’ll want to check out her blog! I used a completely different sauce, but her method on how to make oven baked wings CRISPY and CRUNCHY like you’ve gotten at a restaurant… worked PERFECTLY!!! I will credit her below again when I explain how to do so.
- 2 lbs chicken wings, cut into wingettes and drumettes (tips discarded)
- 2 tbsp baking powder (NOT BAKING SODA / BI-CARB SODA!!)
- ¾ tsp salt
For the Sauce/Glaze
- 1 TB toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 TB local organic honey
- 2 TB brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- dash cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce of your choice
- 1-2 TB apple cider vinegar (depending on how liquidy you want your sauce)
- 1 TB lemon juice
- If you are organized enough, uncover the chicken wings and leave them in the fridge for a few hours to dry out. Otherwise, use a paper towel to pat the wings dry.
- Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions.
- Preheat oven to 250F/120C.
- Line a baking tray with foil, then place a rack (like a cooling rack) on the foil. Spray the rack with olive oil cooking spray.
- Place wings in a large bowl or in a ziplock bag. Add the baking powder and salt, then toss to coat evenly.
- Place the wings on the baking tray in a single layer with the skin side up. They should just fit snugly. They will shrink when they cook because the fat renders out so don’t worry if they look too snug.
- Place wings on the lower middle oven rack and bake for 30 minutes.
- Move wings up to the upper middle rack and increase the oven temperature to 425F/220C. Bake for 40 – 50 minutes, rotating the tray halfway through. (If you use convection on your oven, this time can be cut to 30 minutes)
- Remove baking tray from the oven and put into the bowl with the sauce, immediately toss wings in the sauce and glaze.
- Serve and enjoy!.
- Add all ingredients into a large bowl and whisk each ingredients together until well incorporated
- When you toss the wings into the glaze, make sure the wings are HOT, right out of the oven, to help melt the brown sugar and become a perfect glaze on the wings.
I served these wings with the below recipe:
- 2 large yukon gold potatoes sliced
- 1 large yellow summer squash sliced
- 1 TB unsalted butter
- 1-2 TB olive oil
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoke paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
In a small baking dish, place the potatoes and squash and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle all of the seasonings all over the veggies and then stir and toss until everything is coated evenly. Dot with the butter and bake with the wings above. OTHERWISE, bake at 425 for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
And now, for the quote of the day: