So I feel like I’ve been putting on here that I’m TIRED a lot lately. Guess what?! Today, I’m NOT! Woohoo! We actually had a great day! I would attribute it to spending a majority of our day outside. We did school EARLY and then just spent the rest of the time outside (except for during naptime). We even had some dog training for our dog Duke, outside! It was quite marvelous! It’s so nice that it’s not yet a sauna outside, so we can still enjoy it! And, I straightened my curly hair for one possible last hurrah! Because, once it turns to a sauna outside, my curly hair returns within minutes of stepping outside! HA!
A couple of things about today’s recipe.
1. I use sweet mini-peppers a lot. I use them because I like the different colors in 1 bag. I also like that I don’t have to cut open a full bell pepper and then try to save it and hope that it doesn’t dry out. So, I like the sweet mini peppers as snacks, and the fact that I can grab a few to put in my dishes without worrying about part of them drying out! They stay fresh for a long time too!
2. When I only use 1/2 an onion, I DO NOT put the other half back in the fridge. I was recently informed that they absorb sickness and germs and bad things… and can actually make you sick if you do that! I RARELY use an entire onion when I cook something. I like onions, but I don’t want an overload. So, I slice the rest of them, put them in a freezer baggie and put them in the freezer. That way, they stay fresh and I can grab just the amount that I want to put in each dish and they stay FRESH!!!!
3. I almost always use the rice cooker for quinoa and rice. It’s sooo much easier! Very “mindless” which is perfect when I’m doing so much other stuff to prep, etc. Set it and forget it!
And now, the recipe!
- 1/2 cup of quinoa
- 1 cups of water
- 1 tsp flax meal (if you have and so desire)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of cracked pepper
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 3-4 mini sweet peppers diced
- 1 1/2 cups whole kernel sweet corn (frozen, fresh or canned)
- ½ yellow onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- handful of grape tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- dash cayenne powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chilis (like rotel) from the can
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
- 4 eggs, fried/over easy (1 egg per serving)
- 2 avocado, sliced
- fresh cilantro (garnish)
- fresh lime zest and juice of 1 lime to top
- sour cream or shredded cheddar if desired for topping
- Put olive oil in a non-stick skillet
- Start quinoa in the rice cooker, or on stove top – following directions on bag (RINSE QUINOA)
- Cut up vegetables
- Place squash, zucchini, minni peppers, onion, tomatoes, corn, salt, and pepper into the skillet. Toss to coat.
- Season with the dry spices (paprika, cayenne, chili powder, cumin, oregano and lime zest). Add the 1/2 cup of Rotel or similar.
- Sautee veggies in sauce pan until the zucchini is tender, but still firm. Squeeze lime juice over vegetables just before you server.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork and serve with the vegetables.
- Pan fry four eggs
- Serve egg on top of quinoa with avocado slices and fresh cilantro. Also, try shredded cheese or sour cream!
This one was filling, healthy, and one that you don’t feel guilty after eating! You got your protein, your whole grains AND your veggies! Definitely give this one a try!
And now, for the quote of the day: 🙂