Last night we eat dinner late. So bad. I read a few different blogs about healthy eating, especially my FAVORITE : http://www.dietitiancassie.com/ . Do I follow all of her rules? No. Should I? Maybe yes… maybe no? Everyone’s body is different. But she is very smart and has a lot of good information on how to naturally keep our bodies healthy, and how to think about food and what we put into our bodies completely differently than what we’ve been taught… and stay healthy! Check out her page!!!
Anyways… back to eating late. I know I shouldn’t have dinner that late… but I was making a blanket for my daughter, Madilyn and I was almost done crocheting it and I looked up and it was almost 8:00 and I hadn’t started dinner! Woops! Luckily it only took me 20 minutes to make from start to finish… so… pretty darn good!
This one is simple, full of flavor, quick and very filling. Yes, it does have pasta. I, of course, am steering you to Dietitian Cassie’s website and she’s pretty much grain free… and here I am writing a blog post with pasta in it. But… still read her blog. And.. decide for yourself what to eat…. ? 🙂 But… for me? I eat carbs/grains 1 time per day MAX, if not less often. I try my best to fill up on veggies and protein during the day… which really works for me! I’m not starving and HANGRY come dinner. I also have go to healthy fat, high protein snacks that I grab while I’m cooking that really help. I love celery with 1 TB sunflower seed butter. Also, when I am having a sugar craving, I grab 1 or 2 of these Butter Mints: http://empoweredsustenance.com/stop-sugar-cravings/ . Lots of good ideas!! 🙂
Here’s the delicious… pasta filled, quick and easy dinner recipe with some amazing and tasty shrimp:
for 3-4 servings
- 1/2 lb shrimp (I used Trader Joes Argentinian Red Shrimp) (cooked and deveined)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
- 2 TB parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (I used this on a garnish on my husband’s bowl since it’s too spicy for me… but he loved it)
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 can diced petite tomatoes (with the juice in the can as well)
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup white wine (I used a Riesling… just use your favorite)
- salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- spaghetti noodles
- fresh parmesan for garnish
- fresh parsley for garnish
- On a baking sheet, place the shrimp (I do mine from frozen) on a foil lined sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, splash of white wine, a bit of lemon juice and salt and pepper. Place in a 375 degree preheated oven and bake for 12-15 minutes (depending on size of shrimp).
- While the shrimp is cooking, in a skillet, melt the butter with the olive oil, and saute the onions and garlic until soft.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, cayenne powder, can of diced tomatoes, white wine and salt & pepper.
- Cook until the liquid is reduced to half.
- While the tomato mixture is simmering, boil the spaghetti noodles according to the package directions.
- Once the tomato mixture is done simmering, add the shrimp back into the sauce, stir and remove from heat.
- Stir in the heavy cream and the 1/2 of the parmesan cheese.
- Toss the tomato and shrimp sauce with spaghetti noodles.
- Garnish with fresh parmesan, red pepper flakes and fresh parsley
- Serve Immediately
And now, for the quote of the day: