So, I have a secret to admit. I LOVE watching the Bachelor. I know, I know… but, being that it’s been going for 20 years means that I’m obviously not alone!!! So, last night when I was going to watch it, I needed a snack. I’m trying to be gluten free as much as possible, and also trying to eat “clean”. So… I pulled out a couple of zucchini and made these! YUM!
2 things: mine came out a little bit too dark because I got distracted by my 4 yr old little boy who needed some juice… AND I should have ground my “polenta/corn grits” a bit more finely.
So, here’s the DELISH recipe:
Serves 2-4 as a snack or appetizer
- 3 small zucchini
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup Masa Harina OR ground corn polenta/grits
- 1/4 cup powdered Parmesan cheese
- olive oil, for frying
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- ranch dressing, for serving
Now, you may ask, what is Masa Harina flour???? It is: Masa harina is a very finely ground corn flour made from corn that’s dried, cooked in water with slaked lime (which gives it distinctive flavor), ground, and dried again. I found this info here: Mara Harina Definition
- Heat a 1/4 inch of olive oil in the bottom of a large skillet over medium heat.
- Wash and slice the zucchini into thin rounds, about 1/8-1/4 inch thick.
- Beat together the egg and water in a shallow bowl.
- Stir together the corn flour, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and garlic powder, in a second shallow bowl.
- Coat the zucchini in the egg and then dredge in the corn flour mixture to coat.
- Add a single layer of zucchini to the hot oil, being careful not to crowd the pan. Fry for 1-2 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Repeat with remaining zucchini.
- Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt, if desired.
- Serve with ranch dressing for dipping.
**** don’t be like me and let them cook for too long… let them fry just until they are golden and then flip… watch the edges to know when they are ready and remove!! They are SOOOOOO good!!! Enjoy!
And now, for the quote of the day: Instead of a quote, I’m going to post a song that my kids and I have been blasting and dancing to… in the kitchen!!