So this is an easy one… honestly. When regular couscous is involved… it’s pretty easy! And, if you want to go vegetarian, just take out the cheese and chicken and you’ve still got more than 10g of protein per serving!! Whole wheat couscous has 8g of protein per serving, and I added some flax seed meal to this and it has 6g of protein per serving! Good way to get a large amount of your daily needs in one meal!
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups whole wheat couscous, uncooked
- 1 TB flax seed meal (I used Trader Joes)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 TB butter
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lemons (I used the zest AND the juice from the lemons)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- parmesan to sprinkle on top
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Add in 1 TB olive oil and the 2 TB of butter. Stir in the couscous, and the mixed vegetables and flax meal. Cover the pan, remove from the heat and let stand for five minutes.
- While the couscous is sitting, cook the chicken. I brought 1 TB of olive oil, and 1/4 up of chicken broth to simmer and added the chicken. I sprinkled salt and pepper onto the chicken, and a bit of garlic salt onto the chicken. I then added lemon juice from 1 lemon to the pan and added the zest to both sides of the chicken. Cook until both sides are browned and the liquid is reduced. (About 5 minutes per side). Remove and let the chicken rest. After about 5 minutes, cut into slices.
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice from other lemon, lemon zest, garlic, and salt and pepper, and pour over the couscous mixture and toss.
- Add the chicken to the couscous mixture and then sprinkle with the chopped basil and stir lightly.
- Serve and sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top. (I served mine with pineapple so that we’d get a bit of each food group!
It was light, but still really filling!!!
And now, for the quote of the day:
Pingback: Mixed Veggie and Chicken on a Lemony CousCous | FrugalFitMomma
Pingback: Mixed Veggie and Chicken on a Lemony CousCous – #ItsWhatsForDinner #Yummy #HealthyChoices | FrugalFitMomma