It’s cold. I know I shouldn’t complain, especially coming from me who wished for snow… today it was cold enough to snow! It definitely did NOT snow though. Boo. If it’s gonna be below 30 degrees most of the day, I seriously think that there should be snow. Ugh.
So, SOUP is on the menu!! I just have to say, when it is cold outside, I LOVE to have soup. It can just simmer on the stove top and make the whole house smell delicious while we wait for dinner time. Then all of the flavors just meld together into warm deliciousness.
I love chili, and I also like the Italian version: Pasta Fagioli. I made my own version of both.
- Lentils : 1/4 cup lentils boiled/simmered in 1 cup water and 1/4 tsp salt for 20 minutes and set aside
- 1 pound 85/15 ground beef
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped baby carrots
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 15 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can (4 oz.) tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 TB fresh chopped basil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups cooked pasta (I used shells, you can use any small pasta)
- dash hot sauce
- In a large pot, over Medium heat, cook the ground beef.
- Drain the liquid from the cooked beef (if any). If you use ground beef with a lower fat ratio then you will have little to no liquid to drain.
- Stir in the chopped onions, carrots, seasonings, and minced garlic. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the can of diced roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth, black beans (drained and RINSED) and corn.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Add 1 cup of water and stir and simmer. Add additional water as needed to consistency that you desire.
- When the soup has 10 minutes left to simmer, cook the pasta in boiling water for 7 minutes or until a bit firmer than al dente. Do not over cook the pasta.
- Drain the pasta and stir it into the soup. Add the cooked lentils at this time as well. Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- SERVE! (Have with bread, or just sprinkle a bit of cheese on top and ENJOY!
And now, for the quote of the day:
(I experienced this today with my 3 year old son… and discovered and ENTIRE roll of toilet paper in the toilet… took him like 10 seconds to do it. I think it’s a world record!)
Nice work on the blog! I pinned this recipe and can’t wait to try it.
Thank you! You’ll have to let me know how it turns out and if my directions were clear!!! Always looking to improve my blog! 🙂