As the weather cools I usually start craving different squash dishes, and warm baked dishes. Now, the “cool” part of the day here is still not dipping very low, but this acorn squash just sounded delicious!
It’s more of a “southwestern” take on it, or tex-mex… maybe? But this one turned out great! You can make it your own too by adding your own leftover meat from the week, or leaving the meat out and letting it be vegetarian!
This one is a good one!
- 3-4 acorn squash (about 2-3 lbs each)
- 1 cup couscous
- 3 TB butter
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 cup diced fire roasted tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 can black beans
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- fresh minced cilantro for serving
- hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 cup leftover turkey sausage crumbles
- 3/4 cup leftover shredded pork
- salsa (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice the tops off each acorn squash and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Toss seeds in the garbage and lay the squashes, cut side down, on a greased foil lined sheet tray. Roast for about 30-40 minutes until very tender when pricked with a fork.
- While the squashes are roasting, prepare the filling. Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a medium sized saucepot with the butter, olive oil and the salt and cumin. Once boiling, add the couscous and remove from the heat and place lid on.
- In the mean time, place the heated up pork (or whatever leftover meat) and the sausage in a large bowl, the can of tomatoes, black beans, and chopped cilantro into the bowl. Once the couscous is done (according to pkg), pour into the bowl with the other ingredients and mix well.
- Fill the inside of the squashes with the couscous mixture and top with mozzarella cheese. Broil on low for about 5-6 minutes until cheese melts.
- Top squashes with fresh cilantro, more hot sauce and salsa if desired.
Yield: 6-8 servings
And now, for the quote of the day:
Pingback: CousCous Stuffed Acorn Squash – #itswhatsfordinner #funfallrecipe #lovesquash | FrugalFitMomma
Pingback: CousCous Stuffed Acorn Squash – #ItsWhatsForDinner #HealthyOptions #Yummy | FrugalFitMomma