Do you ever look in your fridge and see all these separate components and wonder how in the world you’re going to make dinner out of them?? This is one of those. Bacon? Avocado? Lemon? Parmesan? Spinach? Basil? Peppers? Doesn’t that just SOUND like a winning combination?
When I’m having a cruddy day, I always crave pasta. Today was actually a pretty GOOD day. But, really, when does a good day stop you from wanting pasta with bacon? I mean, really.
I’m actually quite picky about my bacon though. As my previous post states, my son has a lot of food allergies and sensitivities. I found out that he is QUITE sensitive to a lot of preservatives. It can range from a rash to hives! So, when we buy bacon, we buy uncured and nitrite/nitrate free. Strangely, a LOT of ham and bacon has that in it. I CAN find it, but it’s hard and expensive. Trader Joes does have a good option that isn’t too expensive. Our favorite is this:
When I cook it in the microwave, or in a pan on the stove top, it ALWAYS comes out yummy and crispy. Unless, of course, I’m at my sister’s house who has a monster of a microwave that burns it after 30 seconds and I always forget how powerful her’s is. HA! So… watch your wattage. I am NOT going to tell you how long to cook it for, because it seems my microwave may be weaker than other peoples… lol.
So, here’s another craving for you…
You’re welcome world. That’s right. This dish has Bacon. Avocado. Cheese. Pasta.
And… it’s delicious. 🙂
My recipe is inspired by: http://damndelicious.net/2014/06/28/bacon-avocado-pasta/
I changed a few things, so the recipe below is my own, but if you’d like to see the original, check out the link above.
- 12 ounces tri-color rotini pasta (or your favorite pasta)
- 4 slices nitrite and nitrate free bacon, chopped
- 1 avocados, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup diced sweet onion
- 1/4 cup basil leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup baby spinach leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced red pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, or more, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and onion cook until bacon is brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta, bacon, avocado, peppers, onion, spinach and basil. Stir in Parmesan, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve hot or cold, garnished with Parmesan, if desired.
And now, for the quote of the day: