Original recipe: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/quinoa-tabbouleh
Warning: I have learned that you ALWAYS rinse quinoa well. Rinse (just like rice) and then I cooked mine in my rice cooker.
My goal is to cook and post meals that are all 500 calories or LESS. That’s all inclusive, all sides, etc. (Not including a glass of wine that I may have with my meal.)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large English hothouse cucumber or 2 Persian cucumbers, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Rinse quinoa thoroughly, and put in rice cooker (or sauce pan) and add 1 1/4 C of water. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to simmer. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender. Let stand for 5 minutes after done, and then fluff with fork.
Meanwhile juice 2 lemons. Put the juice in a bowl with the minced garlic and whisk in olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
** I added grated parmesan cheese at this time in the dressing. Not all tabbouleh has parmesan cheese.
Add the cucumber, tomato, herbs and scallions to the dressing and toss. (** I did not add mint, I just put extra flat leaf parsley)
Add quinoa and toss thoroughly.
Salt and pepper to taste. Then, either serve or chill tightly covered. Can be made up to 1 day in advance.